The title of this post comes from a comment that Mark made to me: "I thought you had to be old to make great pies." He made the comment after I made this:
One super delicious homemade apple rhubarb pie. See, I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my house this year, and really wanted to make the pies from scratch. I found an easy-looking pie crust recipe and decided to give it a shot. I love to cook, but was worried that a pie may be just a bit more than I could handle. It turned out great! The crust was flaky and yummy, and it really was easy. Here's the recipe:
Basic Pie Pastry
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. shortening
6 to 7 Tbsp. lemon-lime soda, chilled
In a food processor, combine flour and salt. Add shortening; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add soda until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
For two single crust pies, on a slightly damp surface, lay down some plastic wrap. Roll out half of the pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate (be sure to lightly flour your rolling pin). Transfer pastry to pie plate (I just pick up the saran wrap and flip it upside down into the pie plate). Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Repeat with remining pastry. Fill or bake according to recipe directions.
For a double crust pie, divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. On the plastic wrap, roll out the larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond the edge of plate. Add filling.
Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake according to recipe directions.
The food processor made this recipe a cinch! If y'all ever try this, be sure to let me know how you liked it.
Utah 2017, part 3
9 years ago

1 comment:
Yumm, that does look tasty. I might have to try that out! Brielle is so adorable! You can see that she just has so much personality! Love ya!
Post a Comment