Yesterday, we decided to go find a Target and get some items we needed for our apartment. We went down to the parking lot, and there was our jeep, with the passenger side window smashed out, the dash ripped open, and the stereo gone. We were in shock. Our apartment is in a good area of town, and the parking lot is fenced and gated. How could something like this happen? And on our first real day in Houston?? We looked around the p
arking lot, and it looked like there were about 6 other cars that had been broken into as well. We filed a police report, and talked to management. When Mark talked to the police, he mentioned that we had just moved in the day before, and said, "I guess, welcome to Houston, huh?" The cop said, "Pretty much." From what we have heard from our neighbors and the management, this is a rare occurrence. But it definitely made us feel a lot more vulnerable. Yikes!! So, we spent the day getting the jeep window fixed and getting security measures put in place for our apartment and cars before we leave for Armenia.In all of this, there is a miracle and a blessing. When we were going through the
car to see if anything else was missing, I saw and extra key to the jeep sitting in the cup holder, right by the dash and the jockey box, which had been gone through. We had accidentally left the extra key right there in the Jeep when it was dropped off. So, instead of the stereo, the whole jeep could have been gone. It's a miracle that whoever broke into the car didn't see the key. I am convinced that God kept it invisible to them. We are so blessed that the damage was minimal.In spite of that, we still feel like this is a good place to be, and that we are in a good area of town. Things like this could happen anywhere. We pointed out to each other all of the car thefts and break-ins that we heard about in Provo and Salt Lake. We are still so excited to be living here, and the weather is beautiful.
Welcome to Houston, everyone!!
6 comments:
Wow that must have been scary! That is a cool story though to hear how the key was right there and everything. I hope you have some good stories when you come back from Armenia because your mission stories were some of my favorite. Oh and I added you to my blog list on my blog page :)
-Stacey J.
Seriously...Welcome to Houston!
oh my gosh Kyra! That is so crazy. I guess it's good it happened before you left so that you could secure your house and car. Have a good time in Armenia, I can't wait to hear your stories. We miss you so much at Del Sol!
Where do you get your cute blog templates?
Kyra,
Well. That's quite a welcome isn't it?
I like your blog, it is interesting for me to read about your lives, since I kind of lost touch... it sounds really awesome!
Living away from family is a good thing I think, at least for a while, because you get a chance to cement your marriage without outside influences-including well-meaning parents! Of course when you move you also appreciate them more.
Anyway. Nice blog, you and Mark seem really happy!
Mark,
Thats what you get for moving to Houston and not Boise to be close to me.
Tyler
Post a Comment