Saturday, October 4, 2008

Are You Hungry?

Caution: The following post may cause over-activation of your salivation glands.

In our effort to become food connoseirs, Mark and I love trying new restaurants every chance we get. Houston is the perfect place, since
it is the foremost restaurant city in the U.S., leading the nation in number of restaurants and number of meals served per capita. You can select from more than 5,000 restaurants with culinary choices from more than 35 countries. That makes for a LOT of new restaurants to try!

Last night we went to Hungry's Cafe. To start off, the menu has over 100 items, ranging from gyros to southwest chicken wraps. We didn't know quite what to do with so many choice
s! They all looked so good that we wanted some of everything! We started off with an appetizer of hummus and pita bread.

The hummus steered us in the direction of a medditeranian-style meal, so I decided to try the ginger honey grilled salmon with Basmati Lentil Rice & Pita Bread, along with French green beans. It sounded healthy and tasty, so how could I not? When the waitress brought out my plate, I got so excited. The Lentil rice had raisins in it, and was a very familiar dish to me - I had it several times in Armenia, but I know it as "Chamichov Pilaf" (literally translated: raisin rice). I started telling Mark how I had this type of rice all the time at Easter in Armenia and how much I loved it and how excited I was to have it here in the states. The waitress probably thought I was a little weird to be so excited about food, but I couldn't help it!

Mark ordered a gyro with fries, and the food was so tasty. In fact, I don't think I have ever had food so yummy. The Salmon was perfectly basted and grilled, the raisins in the rice gave it an unexpected sweet flavor that wasn't overpowering, and the lamb in Mark's gyro was so tender. The fries were excellent too!

If your ever in the Houston area, and your hungry, go to Hungry's Cafe. Mark and I give it 5 stars!

1 comment:

Jalei & Lane said...

Yes their hummus is great! If yall haven't already try these 2 places:
1) Ruggles (across the street from Hungry's)
2) Tiny Boxwoods-this place is adorable & small. Go down Buffalo Speedway & turn left on Alabama, then make a right on Saint. It's kind of hidden. You'll love it.