Friday, September 26, 2008

The Change of Seasons

Take a step out of your front door. Now breath deeply through your nose. Do you smell it? The distinct aroma of cooler air, falling leaves, and warm grass. Yes, autumn is here, my friends! I love fall. I love the little nip of the weather that just appears one day, making an end to the hot summer days. I love the vivid reds, golds, and oranges of the leaves as they change color. I love walking along the sidewalk as a gust of wind swirls fallen leaves in a circle about my ankles.

I stepped out onto my patio today into just such a fall day, and suddenly I was craving caramel apples, corn mazes, hay rides, and argyle. I wanted to walk through a garden and run my hands through the dirt as I dug up vegetables ripe for the harvest. I wanted to have signs of fall all around me! So, I got out my fall wreath, my scarecrows, my pumpkin spice candles, and I decorated for fall.


Something about fall just makes me excited for things to happen. Maybe it's the anticipation of the holidays. Maybe it's leftover from the hustle and bustle of my school days. But whatever it is, I want to be out and doing - even more so than usual. Maybe I was destined for it. "Herbst", after all, means "autumn" in German.

This is sort of a random collection of thoughts on fall, but I wanted to share my joy in having fall here again.
Isn't God good to give us different seasons? And isn't he good to give us a season so focused on abundance and Thanksgiving? Fall is a time to reap the fruits of our labors, and we have been blessed in so many ways.

1 comment:

Cody said...

Hey! I love your new look! It looks so cool! How late did you stay up? Now what are you going to do with Mark gone for the rest of today? Maybe you should do mine:-) I love fall too! September 1st the kids and I put up our fall decorations. I love it cause I can leave them up for 3 months!