Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Milestones




Milestones to become a true Texan:

1 - Move to Texas

2 - Get a Texas license and registration
3 - Learn to be an over-aggressive driver (this includes remembering to never use your blinkers. You can't let the enemy know what your going to do)
4 - Get pulled over by the Texas police
5 - Use "y'all" and "fixin' to" in the same sentence


Milestone #1, check. Milestone #2, check. Milestone #3, check. Milestone #4..... check.

Yes, I have had my first pull-over experience in the state of Texas. Another milestone for me!

As I am cruising on my way to work, feeling good about my newly acquired Texas driving skills (see milestone number 3), I look in my rearview mirror to see flashing party lights right behind me. As I passed the street-posted speedometer, I knew I was busted. No use pretending... I pulled over.

The policeman approached my window (already rolled down for his convenience), and in his southern drawl said, "Officer _________ with the West University police, ma'am. How are you today?"

"I'm good." How do you think I am? I just got pulled over!

"The reason I pulled you over today is because I clocked you going 44 in a 30-mile-per-hour zone (oops!). Do you have an emergency you were going to today?"

Shoot - I knew I should have scheduled an emergency. Unfortunately, "No, I don't. Just wasn't paying as much attention as I should."

I handed him my license and registration, and he walked back to his cruiser to run them. As he got out of the car, I looked in the mirror for any indication that I would be getting a ticket. Today was my lucky day! I got off with a warning to watch out for those slower speed limits in the West University area, and I was on my way.

Ever since we moved to Houston I have heard horror stories about getting pulled over, but I think I got one of the nicest policemen in the state of Texas!

10 comments:

Cameron and Nonie said...

Now that's just funny. I'm so glad you didn't get a ticket. I hate getting pulled over, it scares the smackers out of me.

amb said...

For real! Idaho state troopers are not so friendly... :(

Fernando said...

All I can say is that you were lucky...

Jalei & Lane said...

You are lucky. I've never gotten off the hook for a ticket! Where do you work?

Diane said...

wow, you're lucky day. Did you take that picture of him?? So have you passed milestone #5? I don't believe I've heard you saying those words...

Cody said...

"Where's the FIRE?" Need I say more?????? Your experience just took me back down memory lane. Glad you didn't get a tIcKeT!!!! I don't think we did then did we?

Lacey Sue said...

No way!! That is TOO funny! At least you got the "nice" cop in the city... hheheee

Kendra and Caleb said...

Really you should watch your speed. =)

Charlotte and Matt said...

We had so much fun with you guys last night. It was so good to see you guys again...it had been far too long! You were right, the salmon was to die for! I'm glad that you're liking your job, and I'm glad you lucked out with the nicest policeman!

Christina Bassi said...

Your true Texan milestones are pretty funny. That's great you got a nice cop. The two who have pulled me over have been mean and given me a ticket.