
Last week my doctor sent me to a genetic counselor to see if we needed to have the baby tested for Galactosemia. I felt like I was back in high school biology, learning about genes and the probability of passing them on. It was pretty interesting though.
Galactosemia is a recessive gene trait that inhibits the affected person from breaking down milk. Those born with full-blown Galactosemia can't have milk products ever in their lives, so it makes it kind of a big deal if your baby has it. There is a lesser version of Galactosemia, calles "Duarte Galactosemia", which means the person affected just doesn't break down milk as well as they should. The results of the counseling didn't turn out as scary as I thought they might.
Come to find out, I have the Duarte Galactosemia genes, so no matter what, our kids get to be carriers of the gene, which means that they will never break down milk as well as they should. Mark has never been tested, but since he can eat ice cream with no problem :), I think it's safe to say that at worst case he can only be a carrier of the Galactosemic gene. If that were true, then there would be a chance that our baby would be born with a Galactosemic gene and a Duarte gene, which means that we wouldn't be able to feed it milk for the first year of it's life. Or we might be able to alternate milk with soy. So, with that in mind, we decided not to have the baby tested before it is born, seeing as how the chances of it being affected are pretty slim.
After the counseling session, they did an ultrasound to test for Down's Syndrome, and the doctor said that everything looks really healthy. Our little baby is an active one! It moved around a ton during the ultrasound, and even started to suck its thumb! I loved seeing our little miracle move and hearing its little heartbeat. Those are the most precious moments in the world to me right now.
Things are progressing really well, although whoever invented the term "morning sickness" and said it should end after the first trimester should be taken out and shot for the liar they are... We are so happy to be preparing for our little bundle of joy, and so happy that Heavenly Father is sending one of his precious children to us to take care of. We are truly blessed!
5 comments:
Congrats! That's so exciting. I bet our babies will have a hard time with milk ( we both struggle but eat it any way). Do you know what your having yet?? How exciting!
Kyra, Does this include mother's milk? Because when you said no milk for the first year, that is usually the case with all babies. But that is cows milk. Although, I know formula is from cows milk so I'm just curious if that includes no formula and no mother's milk. Having a baby is so exciting. Hang in there with the "morning sickness". It's true that you forget (mostly) all that you go through that is uncomfortable while pregnant. Before you know it you'll be wanting another. LOL
So did you know you had that gene or did the doctor tell you? That is crazy! Have you found out if it's a boy or girl yet??
Crazy...but I am glad everything is healthy and well.
Did they do this testing because you have a little bit harder time with milk or is it a standard test where you live? Isn't science amazing!? ONe thing for sure, your baby is going to be perfect! And really cute! I can't wait to hear more about what you're having and more details as time goes on.
Post a Comment