Monday, September 29, 2008

The Breakthrough


I am a primary teacher. Each Sunday, I get to oversee the spiritual teaching of 3 - 6 seven-year-olds for one hour. I love teaching, and I've had a fun time with my little class. My experience has not been without challenges, however.

Coming from Utah, where almost every ward is comprised of families who have been members for generations and where children are not only spiritually taught at church but at home as well, moving into our Houston ward was a bit of an adjustment. These children are not necessarily taught about Jesus at home. Sometimes the only time they hear anything about Jesus or the bible is at church. Some of the children do not come from stable home environments.

One such child is Kayla, who in her short 7 years has had more to deal with than any child should. She has now been adopted by her grandparents, which was probably the best thing to happen to her, as it now gave her a stable environment. However, Kayla's previous experiences have taught her that most adults are not to be trusted, and that if she wants any justice in this world, she will need to fend for herself. You can imagine the behaviors that arise from such an attitude.

Thanks to previous primary teachers who were patient and loving, Kayla had come a long way before I took over the class. She was no longer hitting the teacher (thank goodness!), and would sit still through the lessons. However, each change of teachers brought a fresh wave of Kayla's desperate attempts to save herself. Each new teacher was an adult that could not be trusted, and she tested them thoroughly. Such it was with me. Each Sunday, Kayla would lean over in sharing time and talk to whomever was sitting next to her. If I moved to sit next to her in an attempt to keep her quiet, she would loudly say, "Don't sit next to me! I don't want you to sit next to me!" She would settle down until there was at least one chair between me and her at all times. If a handout was passed to the children during sharing time, she would play with it until I told her that if she didn't put it away and pay attention, I would have to take it from her. Then, when I carried out with my promise, she would shriek and cry, "It's mine! Give it to me!" And so this has been the situation for three months. Kayla didn't like me and I tried my best to show her that I could be trusted to love and care for her.

Recently, another teacher has been called to teach my primary class with me. We agreed to switch off lessons, and Sister Bassi taught once before the hurricane hit. Yesterday was her turn again with the class, and so I went to Sunday School with Mark, enjoying my time with adults in class. When the lesson was almost over, the Primary President came into class and beckoned to me. I went to her, and she quietly explained that Kayla was beside herself and kept asking where I was. She asked if I would go to Primary to see if I could settle her down. I agreed, and walked to the primary room.

As soon as Kayla saw me, she threw her arms around me, and asked me to sit by her. She sat relatively quietly all through sharing time, but was very wary of Sister Bassi. I asked Kayla if she remembered Sister Bassi, and she said, "No. Will you introduce her to us?" So, when we were in class, I introduced Sister Bassi to the kids once more. Kayla was so good during the lesson! Sister Bassi was very good with her.

Ever since I have been Kayla'a primary teacher, I have wondered if I have been getting through to her at all, if I was doing any good. I have come home many a Sunday discouraged that she was so unresponsive to my efforts. But yesterday made me feel so good! Kayla has finally learned to trust me, and she seemed to trust Sister Bassi more readily than I have ever seen her trust before. I know it's not all my doing, so I don't want to seem like I'm bragging at all. I am just so thankful that the Lord has helped all of the primary teachers in Kayla's life show her that she can be loved and that she can trust us. I'm so glad that Sister Bassi was called to be my teaching partner, because she has such a kind heart, and I know that Kayla could feel that yesterday. I think we've reached a break-through, and it can only go up from here!

2 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

Kyra, you have a gift! And God blessed that sweet girl with YOU as her teacher for a reason. These precious angels from God who have come to earth at this horrific yet beautiful time in our worlds history NEED, no, require teachers with love, patience, and true faith. Kayla got the whole package with you. I am honored to call you my friend!

Cody said...

You can take the girl out of the teacher, but you can't take the teacher out of the girl! What I mean is -- you're born with the gene! The teaching gene that is! No matter how much you try to run from it, it's still in you! Ha, Ha! Just kidding! Awesome influence BTW!!!