Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Holland Day 3

On Thursday, we struck out for Delft. The train ride there was an adventure, but we soon became versed in the Dutch train system. The train station in Delft was actually one of the least appealing sights I saw in Holland. There was grafitti everywhere, and I was wondering why tourists came here at all. But once we located a map and got to the town center, I understood. Delft is a neat place!

We immediately fell in love with the old architecture of the buildings around the town square. It was market day, so we wandered around the market and found some poffertjes - little Dutch pancake balls with powdered sugar on them. Yummy! After we wandered around a bit and enjoyed another Dutch treat of Krokets (deep fried meat and potatoes) and fries with mayo, we decided to check out the tower of New Kerk.

So, this tower is humongo! We decided to climb up to the top. The staircase was a spiral all the way up, and I seriously thought it was never going to end. I was pretty dizzy by the time we reached the top, but the view was totally worth the climb. It was Mark's favorite part of the trip. You could see forever! We got some really cool pictures of the view, and then it was time to head back down. It didn't take as long as going up, but I got more dizzy from looking down and going in circles!

Once back in Dreimond, we went to Weesp with Mathea for dinner. We ate at this little restaurant by the canal, and it was good food! I stuck with salmon, but Mark ordered the Kangaroo. It was pretty tasty! After dinner we wandered around a bit and got some pictures of Weesp since we hadn't got any when we arrived. We decided that Weesp was one of our favorite places we'd seen so far.


No comments: