Sunday, May 31, 2009

To Catch a Thief

As we were waiting to close on our house back in February, Mark and I made a startling discovery: Construction theft among new houses is a HUGE problem. We were so naive, but we were super shocked when we went to the house one day and discovered that someone had stolen the front door. The builder told us that it happens all the time, and once we moved in there wouldn't be a problem. A couple of days later, after the door had been replaced, the Front Door Bandits struck again! Once again, the door was replaced, and a week later was gone... this time along with all of the kitchen appliances and the pedestal sink in the half-bath. What the??? We almost couldn't close on our house on time because those little buggers couldn't keep their red-hot hands off our house!

So, three new front doors later (and also replaced appliances), we are moved in. I must say that the builder was right in saying that we wouldn't have a problem once we moved in. There has been no attempts at a break in at all.

Well, on the way home from church today, we drove past a guy with a truck and large trailer pulled off to the side of the road. There were several nice-looking decorative front doors propped up against the side of the trailer, and Mark made the off-hand comment, "I wonder if that guy stole our door?" I took a look, and THERE IT WAS!!! Our THREE stolen doors, leaned up against the side of the trailer. I had to laugh out loud. I even made Mark turn around so I could take a picture with the phone.

Of course, we can't prove that the guy stole the doors, but honestly, who sells front doors out of a trailer on the side of the road?? And who would have three doors EXACTLY like the ones that were stolen from our house, as well as some others that I recognized had also been ripped off other new houses in our neighborhood? I think we really did catch our door thief. Too bad we can't prove it...

P.S. Sorry about the picture quality. I had to take it as we were driving by, and I had to look a little bit inconspicuous...

3 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

I can't believe it! I would want to pretend like I was interested in buying a door & ask him where he gets them from!

Amber said...

Oh my goodness! That is crazy! I'm sure it's impossible to bust him, but man--the nerve!
At least you know where to find a new door if you ever break yours, right?
I bet he'd sell it for cheap :)

Lacey Sue said...

That has got to be the craziest thing I've heard in a LONG time...now way!!!